Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Library Shelf - I Closed My Eyes


The latest book on my library shelf was "I Closed My Eyes" by Michele Weldon. It is subtitled "Revelations of a Battered Woman". Some may ask, "Why would you want to read a book like that? Or, doesn't it scare you to read that kind of book?" Well, No, it doesn't scare me. It's research for me. It's an education. It's learning from other people's accounts of experiences.

This book is unlike others on this subject because it is the firsthand memories of someone who actually LIVED in a household with an abusive husband rather than the clinicians that usually write about what you SHOULD do and what you PROBABLY are feeling. This woman has been there. It's not light reading, but a very good and realistic look at how it REALLY feels to be in this situation, why she stayed, and how she did eventually leave with her three boys and start a new life. Recommended reading for those who are interested in this subject for whatever reasons you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment