Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Beans and Rice Time

Well, we knew it was coming sometime this summer with my losing 6 weeks of income in addition to the usual 4 weeks during summer. (Yes, for you math gurus, that's a total of 10 weeks with no pay.) Today was the day - beans and rice time.

This afternoon DD cooked up a big pot of beans (from scratch). I'm talking a BIG POT! Look at this thing. It's 10 1/2 inches tall. This is like they use in the army. She's serious about her beans!

Please excuse the beans on the stove top. She's also a very messy cook.

Her beans cooked for 2 1/2 hours until they were just to her liking. Then, it was time for her to mash them up and add the spices. While she was doing that, I made a very simple Spanish rice (though I didn't use nearly as big a pot as she did).

DD put rice in the bottom of her bowl, then a few HEAPING spoonfuls of beans (more like a shovelful), and topped it off with cheese. She was very proud of her masterpiece and she named it "Bean Surprise" (the surprise being the rice underneath).


I don't really care for beans that much. Well, actually, let's just say NOT AT ALL! So, I had a bowl of rice. And, just to make DS happy that I didn't have a meal of only starch/carb, I added a bit of shredded cheese (protein) to the top as well.

It's not that there is anything wrong with beans and rice. DD loves beans, and I love rice. It's just a family joke that it's come to this. (Hey, at least we still have toilet paper - 2 fulls rolls and 2 half rolls at this point in time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment