Thursday, April 16, 2009
The English language is full of words that just really don't make sense. Have you ever thought about these?
1. There is no ham in a hamburger.
2. There is no straw in strawberry.
3. There is neither egg in eggplant or apple in pineapple.
4. A Guinea pig is not a pig.
5. Fireflies aren't flies. They are beetles.
6. Greyhounds can be any color.
7. Rush hour lasts longer than an hour - and so does happy hour.
8. Hot dogs can be cold, and homework can be done in school.
9. If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
10. Button and unbutton are opposites, but loosen and unloosen are the same.
11. DS - This one is for you!:
One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, two meese?
12. Boxing rings are square.
13. And, something I've pondered for quite some time: Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a Parkway?
OK, some of these words might not have originated here, but you get what I mean, right? Can you think of any more?